Upcoming MeetingTuesday, July 21, 2015 at 6:30 pm
Come join us Tuesday, August 17 at the Springfield Justice Center at 6:30 pm. We will have our discussions and presentations and then go to Taco Bell.
I hope to see you there!
Ron WJ7R, Pres. EARS
Nepal ham radio assistance neededNepal has 30 million people but only 100 hams with only 28 radios, and Nepal has had two major earthquakes recently. Cell phone ownership and coverage is very low, so amateur radio may very well be a primary means of assisting in emergencies. Training new hams is going on but they also really need handy-talkie radios. They prefer the BaoFeng HT, which is only $33 each. A repeater has been sent but customs really delayed it, and it cost the equivalent of a month salary of a university professor to release.
The EARS club donated 2 BaoFeng's with the help of Radio Mala which has a goal to install a total of 4 repeaters in Nepal, which would give amateur radio coverage to most of Nepal. It is a California 501 (c)(3) organization, and an individual within that organization will hand carry the radios into Nepal, thus avoiding the customs delays. We encourage you to donate to them as well.
Amateur Radio License Fall ClassesEntry-level (Technician) license: Thursdays 7-9pm, Sept 10-Oct 29
Registration deadline, Sept 1
Intermediate-level (General) license: Tuesdays 7-9pm, Sept 15-Oct 20
Registration deadline, Sept 1
Place: American Red Cross building, 862 Bethel Dr. Eugene
Cost: No cost for the class! The study book is $30. License exam fee is $15 at exam time.
Technician class book: Ham Radio License Manual, 3rd edition.
General class book: General Class License Manual, 8th edition.
The book is available from the following sources:
- "Matt" Dillon (If ordered prior to March 20. See below.)
- Ham Radio Outlet, Portland store, 1-800-765-4267
- American Radio Relay League, www.arrl.org
Available Seats: 20 (for each class)
Registration Contact: An email to the contact below with your phone # is your registration.
"Matt" Dillon W7ARD
439 Heywood Ave., Eugene, OR (Santa Clara area)
541-689-0640 firstname.lastname@example.org preferred
Amateur Radio License ExamsYou can get your initial license or upgrade your license with us. The Emerald Amateur Radio Society normally offers exams on the last Saturday of each month at the board room of Springfield Utilities Board, 223 A St, Suite F, Springfield OR 97477. The testing starts at 1:00 p.m. Please plan to arrive about fifteen minutes early so we can begin processing paperwork. What to bring to testing:
- Money or check to cover testing fees,$15.00 payable to "ARRL/VEC."
- If you are testing for the first time, you will need 2 pieces of ID,one must be a photo ID.
- If you are up-grading, please bring a copy of your FCC license and any CSCE's you may have, as well as photocopies of these documents along with your photo ID.
EARS Breakfast and Open Shack:3rd or 4th Saturday every month -- whichever follows the monthly EARS General meeting --
Time 8:30 am, Location -- Flashback Grill, 4229 Main Street, Springfield.
Then to our Shack (about 9:30 am) at the Justice Center EOC in Springfield
- Lane ARES
- Area Repeater List
- CHIRP for EARS
- EARS Emergency Communications
- Southgate Amateur Radio Club
- Factsheet: Cascadia Subduction Zone
- Shockwave - The Documentary: Cascadia Subduction Zone
- "LIVING ON SHAKY GROUND" Booklet - How to Survive Earthquakes and Tsunamis in
- Oregon Tsunami Clearinghouse
- OUTSIDE MAGAZINE Article, By: Bruce Barcott--
Minute-by-Minute Narrative of Most Likely Sequence of Events
resulting from a Present-Day
Cascadia Subduction Zone MegaQuake