Upcoming MeetingTuesday, October 18, 2016 at 6:30 pm
Our next meeting will be in the board room, Suite F, of the Springfield Utility Board (SUB), 223 A Street, Springfield, OR, at 6:30 pm. Note: This is a different location than usual, but we'll be meeting here the rest of the year.
This month's meeting is about “Volunteering” for several Springfield organizations, one of which is our main served agency, City of Springfield/Police Dept. KarLynn Akins, the City’s Volunteer Coordinator, will present to EARS members who want to volunteer for City programs (or who already may volunteer, but want more details about other programs). She will also take pictures of anyone who may have not completed that part.
Next will be Byron, KK7IQ, an EARS member, who is the lead for the Annual Springfield Christmas Parade, to be held Dec. 3. EARS has a long and storied past with regard to volunteering at this event, and I encourage everyone to see what that is all about if you have not already done so. See you Tuesday, Oct. 18 at the SUB Board meeting room. The general business meeting will follow these two presentations.
I hope to see you there!
Ron WJ7R, Pres. EARS
Highly Versitile Orange Box Presentation PostedThe handouts by Paul N0VLR for our September meeting are available on our site under Past Meetings.
Field Day Pictures PostedThe EARS/VRC 2016 Field Day pictures have been posted. Take a look!
RFI InformationThe EARS club has had two presentations on RFI. For further information, see http://www.valleyradioclub.org/rfi.html
Amateur Radio License Fall ClassesEntry-level (Technician) license: Thursdays 7-9pm, Sep 8-Oct 27
Registration deadline, Aug 25
Place: American Red Cross building, 862 Bethel Dr. Eugene
Cost: No cost for the class! The study book is $30. License exam fee is $15 at exam time.
Technician class book: Ham Radio License Manual, 3rd edition.
General class book: General Class License Manual, 8th edition.
The book is available from the following sources:
- "Matt" Dillon (If ordered prior to Dec 28. See below.)
- Ham Radio Outlet, Portland store, 1-800-765-4267
- American Radio Relay League, www.arrl.org
Available Seats: 20 (for each class)
Registration Contact: An email to the contact below with your phone # is your registration.
"Matt" Dillon W7ARD
439 Heywood Ave., Eugene, OR (Santa Clara area)
541-689-0640 email@example.com preferred
Amateur Radio License ExamsYou can get your initial license or upgrade your license with us. The Emerald Amateur Radio Society normally offers exams on the last Saturday of each month at the board room of Springfield Utilities Board, 223 A St, Suite F, Springfield OR 97477. The testing starts at 1:00 p.m. Please plan to arrive about fifteen minutes early so we can begin processing paperwork. What to bring to testing:
- Money or check to cover testing fees,$15.00 payable to "ARRL/VEC."
- If you are testing for the first time, you will need 2 pieces of ID,one must be a photo ID.
- If you are up-grading, please bring a copy of your FCC license and any CSCE's you may have, as well as photocopies of these documents along with your photo ID.
EARS Breakfast and Open Shack:3rd or 4th Saturday every month -- whichever follows the monthly EARS General meeting --
Time 8:30 am, Location -- Flashback Grill, 4229 Main Street, Springfield.
Then to our Shack (about 9:30 am) at the Justice Center EOC in Springfield
- Lane ARES
- Area Repeater List
- CHIRP for EARS
- EARS Emergency Communications
- Southgate Amateur Radio Club
- Factsheet: Cascadia Subduction Zone
- Shockwave - The Documentary: Cascadia Subduction Zone
- "LIVING ON SHAKY GROUND" Booklet - How to Survive Earthquakes and Tsunamis in
- Oregon Tsunami Clearinghouse
- OUTSIDE MAGAZINE Article, By: Bruce Barcott--
Minute-by-Minute Narrative of Most Likely Sequence of Events
resulting from a Present-Day
Cascadia Subduction Zone MegaQuake